Alright…if you’re hungry, go grab something quickly as this is article about FOOD. No, not just any food, but the delicious stuff that you can eat in Istanbul. There are so many things to try there and yes, you may get fat in Istanbul in just few days. I don’t want you to be drooling on your computer, so get at least some popcorn and enjoy reading this article.
For me, Istanbul was the perfect place where I could try an amazing dish. If you don’t want to go to a restaurant every day, no worries, there are a lot of places where you can still have a good and cheap meal.
The street food is amazing and you’ll have so many choices, either if you’re a vegetarian or not. So get ready for few extra pounds while visiting Istanbul.
Here is what you can eat and drink in this beautiful city:
- The Turkish Simmit (the traditionnal bagel) simple or with chocolate. This is a national pride in Turkey and you will find it anywhere on the street. The interesting part about the chocolate one is, that is not baked with it, but the seller is cutting the bagel in front of you, to fill it with chocolate. Price: 1.25 TL
- The Falafel- you will find it in any combination: with hummus, with fried cauliflower or simple, always served with pepper. I’ve tried it in a Lebanese restaurant and I think this is a perfect place for the vegetarians.
- The wrap : with meat, with cheese or vegan (with mushrooms) it’s amazing, especially when it’s served with a hot mint tea.
- If you’re a meat lover, don’t forget to try the kebab. If you want to grab something tasty and quickly, then that’s a great option.
- Lentil soup-the Turkey dish is a little bit or more spicy and so is the soup. But, the lentil soup it’s so aromatic and tasty as you want to eat to eat it daily.
- Stuffed cabbage served with polenta. A delicious dish well known also in Romania and I totally recommend it in Turkey as well.
- You can’t miss the Turkish delights: a large variety of chopped dates, pistachios, and hazelnuts or walnuts bound by the gel. The Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar are full of these temptations you can’t resist to.
- Try the real Turkish baklava, the creamy pudding and the delicious cakes. I’ve been in one of the famous place in Istanbul, called Hafiz Mustafa and I was truly impressed about their delights.
- You all know that Istanbul is famous for it’s ice cream, but not for its taste, but for the show you can get to see when you’ll buy it. Let me tell you that the taste is also great. It’s totally worthy to try the local ice cream.
- Last, but not least, try the Turkish coffee. It is so aromatic and good, but not so strong. It is always served with a glass of packaged water.
No matter what are you looking for when it comes to food, I’m sure that you will find something to enjoy during your trip. I didn’t spend a lot of money on food and I was truly excited about what I’ve tried.
If want to have a beer, you should know that the alcohol is not cheap at all in Turkey and you won’t find it anywhere, mostly in bars or pubs, not in restaurants. Still, I’m sure you will enjoy this country.
Thumbs up for the Turkish food!
Thanks for reading 🙂